When it comes to planning your bedroom design, you should try to create a relaxing space where you can escape and feel like in an oasis.
Ideally, your master bedroom should be a sanctuary where you can feel as comfortable as possible. We usually spend about one-third of our lives in bed, so your bedroom should not only be comfortable but also functional and practical.
1. Getting started
Before you start designing your bedroom, it is advisable to determine what you’re hoping to accomplish.Think of the room you are working on and who are is going to occupy it. In terms of working on your kid’s bedroom design, you ought to speak with your child about what he or she wants. It is recommended to determine the size of a bed and choose a place to do school work. In order to create your master bedroom, you should sit down with your partner and consider what is it that you both expect from a bedroom and how to make it more comfortable. It’s best to think of your bed if it has a good mattress or does you need to redesign the room around that bed. One of the most important things is to determine what are your needs and you will be almost ready to get started. You may also want to create a home office or a space storage space, so you should consider all the options available.
Since bedroom redecoration could be incredibly expensive, you’ll want to make sure you nail down your budget first. It’s advisable to make a list of all the components you want to purchase before you start shopping. If you plan to do a larger-scale remodel, it’s best to hire a reputable and licensed contractor to handle the renovation. You bedroom is an incredibly important value of your home, you should make sure you’re getting the best quality and advice while remodeling. Focus on the size, layout and design of your space for the sake of creating the most comfortable bedroom you dreamed of. In terms of simply changing the furniture, walls or floors, you can go the DIY route.
In order to do it properly, you have to get all the measurements. It is important to measure all of the doorways, entranceways and hallways before buying new furniture. Make sure you will be able to place your new pieces where they need to go. Now it is about time to start designing your dream bedroom.
2. Bed and mattress
It shouldn’t be a surprise for you that the bed is the most important piece in your bedroom. There is a variety of sizes available when it comes to choosing the right mattress:
- Twin mattress (39 x 75 inches) is designed to accommodate only one person. These mattresses are ideal for your kit’s bedroom or for a simple guest bedroom. If you want to add an extra five inches to the length, choose a Twin-XL, which is a little longer than a standard one.
- Full sized mattresses (54 x 75 inches) are perfect for children’s bedroom or guest bedroom since they can accommodate one person comfortably and two people adequately. These mattresses are not that great when thinking of master bedroom that two people occupy.
- Queen sized mattresses (60 x 80 inches) are the most common as they can accommodate two people comfortably. They are also great for larger guest bedrooms.
- King-size mattress (76 x 80 inches) are designed especially for the master bedroom, but you can also use it in a guest room. They can accommodate two people in maximum comfort, though it comes at the sacrifices of floor space. You should consider your bedroom measurements before purchasing it.
- California king mattress (72 x 84 inches) is perfect in the largest of bedrooms. If you’re lucky enough to have space for one, you may never want to change the size of it again.
- The custom-sized mattress is great if money is really no object. You can choose whatever you want, but keep in mind to design your mattress to fit together with your bed’s base.
Once you determined the kind of mattress you need, the next step is selecting a bed style. There is a variety of options to choose from, so you should take a look at some of the best ideas available to you:
- If your bedroom represents the contemporary style, you should opt for a simple platform bed with a low profile. In order to create an extra storage, try to raise the profile of the platform bed.
- For a luxurious bedroom with high ceiling, choose a canopy bed, which is always a solid choice. You may call it a canopy bed, but it doesn’t necessarily have to have the canopy since the structure itself can create enough visual appeal.
- In order to achieve a distinctive look that is all it’s own, go for the four-post bed, which is similar to the canopy type.
- If you want to create a simple and elegant design, choose a wrought-iron bed frame. You should keep in mind that a simple frame combined with a beautiful headboard can really make the difference in the look of a bedroom.
- While searching for a good bed for your guest bedroom, you can choose an attractive day bed in order to save some space.
When it comes to designing your bedroom, the bed you choose goes a long way toward determining the style of your space. It is advisable to consider what kind of style you like the most, but you can also design your bedroom around the bed you choose. Keep in mind, though, that you can approach designing the space from multiple angles.
3. Other furniture and decorative items
The bed is only one piece of the design puzzle in your bedroom. You should fill the rest of the space with other furniture and decorative items in order to complete the look of your interior.
- Dresser, aside from the bed, is the most basic piece of furniture in a bedroom. You should choose a waist-high piece with several drawers. If you have a large bedroom, you can opt for a double-length dresser, which provides more storage space.
- The bedside table is perfect, but not in the smallest of bedrooms. These pieces of furniture allow you to place a lamp, alarm clock or some attractive decorations on them. Always make sure your bedside tables complement the style of bed you’ve chosen.
- Bureaus are perfect if you need more drawer space in your bedroom. They don’t occupy floor space, but they beautifully add height to the interior.
- The wardrobe is the piece of furniture, which provides a large cabinet where you can hang your clothing. You can also choose one with drawers underneath for storing your underwear. This piece of furniture can also be used to add height to your bedroom design.
- Drapes are one of the most practical components of any bedroom since you can sleep in when the sun is up without lacking your privacy. Since they play a big part in bedroom decor, you can use them in order to bring out the color or add height to your space.
- Attractive lighting can make a bedroom design, so it’s recommended to incorporate at least one lamp next to the bed. However, you should have two light fixtures, one on each bedside table, especially if your mattress is a full-sized or more.
When it comes to what you can incorporate into your bedroom, the sky is the limit. You should make sure that the pieces you choose can actually make it into the bedroom you’re designing.
Speaking of designing your bedroom, you should keep in mind that the style you ultimately choose will ultimately dictate the color of the flooring. But the most important thing is the material, so you should consider the most popular options:
- Carpet is one of the most common choices since it’s nice on the feet and it provides comfort, which is great for having a quiet place to relax. You can choose from a variety of patterns and styles, so you should determine what will work with your design and style concept.
- Hardwood floors can be incredibly attractive in your bedroom design, but keep in mind that sound can become a problem with this option. You will want to purchase an area rug in order to help you with the sound problem as well as protect the floors. Plus, it is much easier to clean hardwood floor than carpet.
- Bamboo flooring is a great option since hardwood can be quite expensive. It also looks natural and has the same durability, but is cheaper. In this case, it’s best to consider area rugs since wooden floors are colder than carpet.
- Cork is becoming more and more popular when it comes to flooring choice in the bedroom. It offers the same attractiveness as hardwoods but is is a bit softer and a bit warmer as well. You should keep in might though to keep it out of the direct sunlight, as it can cause the cork to discolor.
- Tile flooring is not the most common, but there are few reasons why you may want to consider this type of flooring. Tile is incredibly easy to keep clean and it’s perfect for customization.
- Concrete is even less common than tile, but it is perfect in a modern or contemporary bedroom. This type of flooring is incredibly durable and easy to clean, but keep in mind it is cold.
For creating a relaxing atmosphere in your bedroom, pay attention to the colors you use. They can play an incredibly important role when it comes to completing your decor. There are some general tips for you to follow on the way to achieving a comfortable and balanced look:
- If you want to keep it safe, choose neutral shades, which include light beiges and cream colors. You should go for these colors especially if you have dark flooring.
- White is one of the most popular colors used in bedrooms. Be careful, though, this color is an active one and could disturb the relaxing atmosphere you’re going for. However, if you want to use it, it is advisable to mix it with darker colors in the bedroom.
- In order to create a natural soothing effect, opt for cooler, darker blue, since it works perfectly with lighter colored furnishings.
- For a more bold interior design, choose purple. This color provides a darker touch while matching perfectly many other shades.
- You can also be unconventional and paint your bedroom green. It will bring a coastal vibe and balance if you combine it with beiges, yellows, and natural wood.
- If you want to create a fresh interior, it’s best to choose muted, pastel yellow. This color will make you feel creative and energized in the morning.
- You may think that pink is a dangerous color in a bedroom, but it can be beautifully balanced by darker shades.
- Speaking of dangerous colors, many interior designers will tell you to watch out for red. Of course, you can use it, but you have to be very careful and prevent it from becoming overwhelming.
6. Layout tips
As mentioned before, you should first determine how much space you have in order to choose the right layout. There are some tips, though, that might be useful:
- If your guest bedroom lack of space, it’s best to get as much out of the space as possible. Given that, you’d better provide one nightstand with a dresser doubling as a nightstand on the other side of the bed.
- Speaking of small bedrooms, it’s advisable to use as much light as possible. Try to incorporate mirrors in order to allow the light to spread in your room. Plus, space will appear larger than it actually is.
- In order to add a certain level of functionality, place dressers at the foot of the bed.
- If your space allows it, try to create a seating area at the edge of the bed.
Now you know all the secrets about creating a bedroom that feels like an escape from a busy life. Though it can be hard to find the balance between style and function, feel free to use our suggestions and create the perfect bedroom with your personal touch.