When it comes to home decorating, it is fascinating how a little choice, like choosing the right lampshade, makes a huge difference.
Determining a perfect shade for our interiors, we can compare to standing in front of our wardrobe and picking a satisfying outfit for a dinner date. It must be coherent with the place and blend with other decor items. Moreover, the right lampshade ought to play a significant role in the room, without overwhelming the surroundings with its colour or proportions.
It is evident we may get a little bit confused when thrown into the deep water of Home Deco Stores. In between aisles with a large choice of lamps we are prone to get a dizzy head. Beforehand foreseeing a disaster, I am coming up with a beautiful and detailed guide to empower you with hearty abilities to choose an appropriate lamp shade. We will take into consideration shape, size, and proportions as well as colour, style, and material of the particular choice. Once you read through my thoughtfully chosen tips on determining the perfect lampshade solution for your interiors, you will quickly realize the simplicity of that task.
Pros of having a lampshade:
Being in a possession of a perfectly chosen lampshade is a real blessing for home interior. At the same time, it is a ‘creme de la creme’ for homeowners.
- It plays the significant role as a decorative element,
- the colorful shade adds signature color complementing home decor,
- transforms surrounding by changing the atmosphere and the mood of the room,
- protects from direct heat from the bulb,
- gives cover for the flat light source,
- focuses direct spotlight in dream direction,
- with appropriate lamp base you can place it wherever you want
A variety of lampshades for different purposes:
With so many lampshades to choose from available on the market, you need to know that each single type of a lamp serves a unique purpose. Apart from a basic one which is protecting your eyesight from a direct source of light, it may not play a decor item role only. Well chosen shade changes diametrically the power of light and the direction which spot we want it to lit. Therefore, the functionality of the lampshade is a major hint while choosing one. We can either want an ambient light or a distance glare. Sometimes all we need is a nearby source of light for a relaxing corner. However if we do not determine lamps are looking at it functions, we can focus on merely decorative purposes, and that is important too.
How does the shape of the shade influence the light?
- If you choose a creamy, opaque hue of the shade, it will provide less light. On the other hand, it will stand out as decor item,
- a bell lampshade with a bendable neck is a perfect solution for a reading nook with its local spread of light,
- placing a bell-shaped shade on a side table allows an extra light source for the room,
- if you are a romantic true to heart, opt for long and narrow floor lamps for a soft mood,
- Love chilling out in bed? An empire shade gives additional light for bedrooms,
- an appropriate choice to hang above a dining table is a slim drum in cream or vanilla tint; not only it illuminates the room with enough light, but it also emitts powerfully and directly downwards;
In what way do lamp shades influence the light?
We need to know that diversification of shapes of the shades alters the emitted light. That is why crucial is to determine the purpose and usefulness of that individual lampshade. As it is easy to notice, opaque shades, among which are dark – coloured shades and hardback shades are likely to block the light and therefore serves mainly a decorative purpose. On other hand white, cream or vanilla coloured shades allow light to shine without obscuring the view. If you are keen on reflects on the ceiling, opt for a shade with light coming from the top of the shade. For reading nooks, I strongly recommend lamps which emit light beneath the shade.
- A bell shade gives optimum balance between highlight and full range beneath,
- similar is empire shade which allows most light beneath and blocks the top surface,
- a drum shade is a perfect solution as the light shines from both sides directly;
The advantages and disadvantages of hard – back and soft – back shades:
Hard-Back Lamp Shade, as the name denotes, is padded with hard lining. Sometimes we can find metal frame construction in some examples. Plastic or other man-made materials are widely known for being good shields from direct light. What is more, hard-back do not alter its look during the maintenance, and you can move such lamp from a place to a place without destroying its solid frame. ‘Firm grip’ is what doctors recommend.
Pros of a hard-back shade:
- more light will shine through the top and bottom of the lamp,
- hardware framework allows the shade to sustain its shape,
- hard-back padding maximizes the light beam making it unyielding,
- practical for direct lightings, like for reading nooks,
- Very often the interior padding is tainted goldish. Therefore, the shining light is warm;
Cons of a hard-back shade:
- side padding is blocking the light from ambient lighting,
- focused, direct light may not be as desirable as ambient,
- if you order online, it can be quite costly (manufacturer ships assembled hardware),
- not everyone kicks off on a gold-tinted surrounding
- dark shade may not be a collectible prize deco item;
Soft-Back Lamp Shade do not possess a thick lining, although you can line it on rare occurrences with paper or linen. Thus, such soft to touch lining is not a framework. It will not support the back of the lamp throughout the usage. As proven, soft – back shades need more help, like metal frames to sustain the desired shape.
Pros of a soft-back shade:
- light also radiates through the sides,
- more choices of colours of the shades,
- multi-purpose shade giving ambient or more focused light,
- variation of different patterns on the shades allows the silhouettes to play on the wall while the lamp is switched on,
- reassembling it after shipping is easy,
- organic materials like paper, linen, card, silk or even burlap you can use in shade materials;
- white absorbs focused light beam, therefore, insist on pearl, ivory or chiffon tint on shade material;
Cons of a soft-back shade:
- metal frame tends to behave unnaturally with natural materials of the shade,
- because of organic materials, light radiates also through the sides,
- the bulb might be slightly visible due to the delicate material of the shade,
- the metal framework can cause shadows on the walls when the lamp is switched on, allows to emit lots of light on the surrounding;
Magnificent choice of lamp shades available on the market
Tiffany Lamp is the most sought after light by many generations. Designed and created by Louis Tiffany, is built on a metal framework with hundreds of pieces of coloured glass. It is a truly timeless design, very attractive for all home interiors. Tiffany Lamps come in many sizes and shapes, weights a little and has ‘Fragile’ written all over it. The design also changes on each lamp as the shade is constructed piece by piece, glass to glass. Therefore, each lamp is original and eye-catching. Choosing such opulent shade is not cost-effective, though. The manufacturer advertises them as everlasting beauty pieces, and such items do not come in a bargain.The best spot to place Tiffany Lamp is on a desk, table or make a signature location on the floor.
Art-Glass Shades are much less fragile the Tiffany Lamps even though features also glass. It is a different sort of glass, however, more toughened. Art – glass shades are originally handcrafted to desired by the buyer shape. It could be anything really what suit best your interiors, from floral motifs, sunbursts, glass beads to animal shapes. Lovers of traditional looks can order a familiar shape art-glass with some whimsical motifs on the edges. Lots of vibrant and rich hues of glass you can choose for the shade.
Chandelier Shades typically wanted for chandelier lights which have from 3 to 6 extending arms with single light bulbs sticking out at the end. If you love the Bollywod style with lavishing interiors, this style of shades is totally for you. You can buy light bulbs in different colours, with matching shades and create a very romantic mood on the whim. The chandelier lampshades are smaller in size than standard tone. Therefore, it is a bright idea to get light bulbs and shades in a similar hue.
Hexagon and Octagon Shades are very remarkable among other lampshades. They feature 6 or 8 flat, equal-length sides. Such lamp can make a bold statement in your living room.
Size of the lamp shade matters
The height of the shade should be ⅔ of the height of the base. The bottom line of the shade needs to be wider than the base of the lamp. The width of the shade shall be almost equal to the height from a base of the socket.
- Is it going to be a table lamp in office room?
- Do you need an adjustable neck for a direct beam of light?
- Maybe a signature statement in a living room?
- How about decor item on a side table?
- reading corners need focused light
- deep shades provide ambient light for spacious living rooms
- handcrafted glass shades make a bold statement in any room
If you opt for darker shades with higher wattage bulbs, be careful to leave an approximately 3-inch gap between a bulb and a chosen shade. Make sure to leave the top opening wide enough for air circulation and not to burn the interiors.
Match your existing decor interior: my advice has given you full support in choosing the perfect and most appropriate shade for your home decor. However, every time you lose your vibe or listen to your heart, and, what is more, trust your inner wisdom. You will feel which one is the best option to buy.
Hot Tip: Pantone, an organisation widely know all around the world for its color-matching system, has picked 2016 Colour of the Year. For the first time, two shades have been selected. Serenity, a tranquil tint of blue and Rose Quartz, soft pink. Therefore, while browsing aisles for possible shades, look carefully for bluish and pinkish shades.