Regardless of the time of the year, each home can benefit from adding a cozy little comfort. Having a comfortable living space is important, and it also does not have to be expensive.
There is a vast amount of small and big things you can do to a room that will instantly and affordably take it from drab to super warm and inviting. Designing your house to create an enjoyable and memorable place, beckoning to newcomers is an exciting task. And you do not necessarily need to have a background in Interior Design – anyone can rearrange their space to make it feel relaxing and soothing. And there is a bonus perk to creating a warm and inviting home to your guests – the final result is often more alluring for you too! Check out my room-by-room guide for making your house feel better on a budget. Here are great inexpensive ways to do so.
- Welcoming Mat: A well-chosen, decorative door mat can be an excellent addition, adding a touch of warmth before you even enter your house. They are called welcome mats for a reason, and what is more, you can purchase one that has cheerful words printed on it. These days you can even buy a personalized welcoming mat, with a funny and unique writing on it. Apart from being a decor item, a door mat is useful for keeping grime and dirt from your boots outside. So, if you do not possess a welcoming mat already, it is high time to buy one. There is a wide array of fantastic door mats available in stores, in all shapes, sizes and at affordable prices. My advice is to get one made from recycled rubber, cast aluminum, coir or polypropylene. Those materials provide low maintenance use for long years. Trust me, a doormat is a decorative way to keep your home clean and guests smiling while entering your house.
- Inside Rug: First and foremost, a heavier duty carpet is going to protect your floors from floppy weather conditions. On the top of that adding more plush materials to your entry hall provides a more welcoming atmosphere on your home arrival. In general, soft and lovely fabrics create a feeling of comfortable coziness, adding an inviting vibe to space. You can opt for a machine washable rug, which ensures a good looking, clean entry throughout the season. If you have a wide foyer, you can position your inside rug horizontally, and for a narrow entry hall, you can purchase a longer runner, which will add dimension to the corridor.
- Bedding is the Key: The bed linens in your bedroom and the guest room convey a message about the homeowner. Therefore, choose wisely colors that match the decor of the rooms and never cheap out on the quality of the sheets. It is highly recommended to make an investment in durable and high-quality fabrics than sleep on paper-thin sheets every night. We need to remember that the best part of our hectic lifestyle is snuggling into a warm and cozy bed. What is better to make your bed feel more relaxing and comfortable than cozy sheets? My tip is to replace light linens with cotton, soft-to-touch, flannel ones during the colder months for a more luxurious feeling. However, some of us prefer lighter layers with heavier duvet feeling. If so, there is a variety of quilt covers available on the market, in a wide array of patterns and textures. You can always decide on a reversible one, featuring sweet and homey floral design on one side and bold, geometric figures on the other. Finally, a decorative yet cozy quilt on the top of your duvet will give you an extra feeling of comfort throughout the long, winter evenings, when you are prone to feeling extra cold. Not to mention the coziness factor of your bedroom, with an inviting vibe and homely atmosphere.
- Lighting Fixtures: Nobody perceives dark homes as inviting and warm. Lighting is one of the main elements that guests notice in the house. Adding decorative light fixtures in the room will show the personality of the homeowner and create more comfortable atmosphere. Well-chosen lighting sources, especially in the bedroom, can have a magical effect on the space. It may sound awkward to some, but with just a few fixtures in the right spots, a room can quickly transform to a bigger, taller and cozier space. Bear in mind that table lamps create an intimate atmosphere, therefore they are perfect for a night in or family gatherings. On the other hand, multiple light sources, or bright ceiling lights should be lit for formal events or larger gatherings, as they give a room a sense of scale.
The Great Room
- Curtains: Choosing the perfect curtains and drapes can radically transform a room. Whether you have one casual, great room for lounging and family activities or more formal living room for bigger events, sprucing up your windows is an ideal solution to make the space more optically attractive. If your primary desire is to boost the size of your den room, then opting for colored curtains will create a larger perception. On another hand, darker hues on your windows will change the room into a comfortable and inviting space. Robust, thicker curtains are also magnificent for south-facing windows to protect from direct sunlight. Lighter fabrics in lively colors such as yellows, oranges or pinks are perfect for windows facing other directions. Bright curtains will catch the sunbeams, bringing shine and gloss to the room.
Not only do drapes add an air of sophistication to the room, but they also insulate against low temperatures outside, preventing cold air from seeping into your house. Rich textures of curtains help to give the feeling of warmth to space, enhancing existing decor of your interiors. I highly recommend going for drapes that extend from rails to the floor. Do not take into consideration the height or size of your windows, increase the coziness and overall effect by having material that pools at the bottom of your floor. You are to reach the ultimate romantic feeling, giving interesting texture, length and visual ornamentation of the room.
- Throw Pillows: The combination of rich, colorful patterns and fluffy fabrics of the pillows will add softness and drama to your living room. Bringing throw pillows to your sectional and recliners is a fantastic and inexpensive option to update the decor of your interiors. A wide selection of available prints and materials make cushions super versatile all year round, and you can always swap them for a more seasonally-appropriate look. Fluffy covers, like faux fur or furry, will complement your decor, creating a cuddly feeling to your space. Throw pillows are available in a range of styles and designs, so choosing velvet or silk materials can add glamor and fashion to your great room.
- Throw Blankets: One of the best elements of any home is the blanket selection. A cozy, luxurious to touch blanket, casually spread on the back of the couch or armchair will instantly give the warmth you are craving. Plush, fluffy textures of the throw blankets also add a visual appeal to space, creating a cozy feeling. You can effortlessly bring positive vibes to your interiors by choosing a simple, cotton-knit throw in a neutral color, not to interfere with the existing palette of hues. If you insist on adding more character to your guest room, try opting for a genuine, or less pricey, imitation of sheepskin. A faux or real sheepskin blanket will guarantee a warm appeal to your interiors.
The Dining Room
- Seat Cushions: To create a less formal atmosphere of the dining room, try adding seat cushions for your chairs. With those details, you are bound to make the space more inviting and cozy. Not to mention that seat cushions make sitting down easier and more comfortable. You can match existing decor of the room with patterns of the pillows, to make a great impression on your guests. Seat cushions are also an affordable way for changing the atmosphere of the place. They are versatile all year round, making a visual impact on the interiors.
Designer Tricks to Your Coziest Home Ever
- Lots of candles – it is a continuation of the lighting theme. Candles can alter the mood of any room, thanks to their soft, luminescent glow. Many brands offer candles with an enchanting fragrance that wafts in the air when you lit the candle. You can also influence the perceived dimension of the room by using candles of various shapes and sizes. Do not forget to browse the stores for candle holders that will complement the decor throughout your interior and fit the theme of your designated space.
- A mirror in a gorgeous frame – can give any room so much character and personality. You can purchase a beautifully ornamented mirror and hang it in a shared space above the table, or in any other place that you think would be suitable. Such outstanding element will bring an inviting vibe to the room and make a visually aesthetic appeal.
- Signature Wall with Themed Photos – such cluster of pictures of family and friends on one wall is a fantastic option of showing love and affection to your guests. Potential newcomers will admire your selection of photos for the collage, and it would be a great way to start warm and friendly conversations.
- Invest in a funky coffee table – the coffee piece is the center element of your guest room. Get a little bit more expensive one, which will last a lifetime, adorning the decor of your space. It is an excellent idea to add tabletop books. A splendid selection of something to read for your guests will be handy not only for the interior design but also for reading. Remember to get fun table books that will show your personality and enthusiasm for reading.
The most important part of feeling good in your surrounding is loving your home. With a minimum amount of effort, the warm and cozy living space is not only entirely achievable but also inexpensive too. Try to start off with my simple redecorating method because it is immediately rewarding and will quickly transform your house into a cozy and inviting oasis of relaxation for both you and your guests. Your home must fundamentally reflect who you are, and everything else will fall into place.