Deciding what to do with an extra room is probably one of the sweetest interior design troubles we can have. We have a whole extra room to dedicate to something and the world is our oyster, as they would say.
Let’s pretend for a while. We close our eyes and imagine that we have a rarely used dining room, the kids are now grown and gone or we just ended up with a spare room. There are practically no limitations to what we can do and we can truly enrich our life by utilizing this extra room for something totally special that we will be able to enjoy for years to come. There’s no need to be practical or stay inside the lines. Why not indulge a hobby, create our private home gym or home theater? Whatever we’d choose for our spare room, we can’t let reality stop us. And if we are not sure where to go with our extra room, below are a few interesting ideas to consider.
1. Game room
Whether we enjoy the latest video game consoles or we are fans of traditional card games, a game room is a great way to entertain our guests and unwind with family and friends. It’s like a playroom for adults. The room should be easily accessible for friends and family alike, and should also be the proper size to accommodate the equipment we have in mind. For example, a ping pong table requires nine feet for the table itself.
Some popular game room ideas:
- Sports: We can dedicate the room to our favorite sport, team or players. Such game rooms are usually decorated with a ping pong table, air hockey table, football table, televisions or some memorabilia.
- Casino games: Accessories may include a poker or other card table, roulette wheel, and dice tables.
- Board games: The basic decorating idea could be a table with multiple tops to provide boards for checkers, chess and other classics.
- Modern game room: The best way to amplify the gaming experience is to maximize the visual and aural experience. A wall-mounted television is a must. It’s a good idea to install surround sound speakers and add in a few accent spotlights to help improve the ambient lighting and reduce eyestrain.
2. Music room
Some of us have certain music talents, so we can transform this extra space into a specialized room where we can indulge in our artistic activities. We might never be the Rolling Stones or Aerosmith, but if we possess our own private music room we can pretend we are.
Whatever style of music we favor, there are some general decorating tips to consider before making a dedicated space for sound. Let’s take a look at few of them:
- Strong color schemes. Interior designers suggest giving our music room a strong identity as a different sort of space by choosing a strong color scheme. A bright color should be used repeatedly throughout the room, on the walls, floor, and even the ceiling. All the furnishings must match. A collection of wall mounted musical instruments can be a nice decorative element.
- Studios. We can even record our pieces, without the expense of a professional studio. If we want to make a music room to play in, as well as a home studio, the best solution is to make two distinct zones. We should use carpet to deaden the sound in our live recording room.
- Soundproofing. If our room has hard floors and some reflective surfaces such as mirrors, there may be too much reverberation. We should think about carpeting or rugs, tapestries on the walls and soft furniture to dampen the sound.
- Reflective Surfaces. Not all of us want a music room with dead acoustics. For example, if we play piano and we would like to hear some of the sound reflected, then hard surfaces on the floors and walls are the ideal option. Ceramics and hardwood are perfect materials to create a music room which has a sound that reverberates.
- Performance stage. If we like to perform, why not consider constructing a small stage area? We can make a friendly live music venue for our family and friends.
3. Home theater
We call it a media center, an extended TV room, or a home theater – at the end of the day, it all comes down to one wonderful room and the delights it offers.
We should consider these six key elements of creating our own high definition escape:
- The type of screen. It’s probably the most important decision. We can buy a screen and a projector or a giant 70-inch plasma television.
- The location. We should choose the room that has as few windows as possible or no at all. It’s also very important to make sure that it’s a place where we do not get disturbed by any external noises.
- The audio equipment. We need a subwoofer and we have to make sure we got the speakers arranged in the acoustically right fashion so that the sound is not being disturbed.
- A dark interior. Most cinemas use a combination of dark purple and deep black tones for its walls and ceiling. Why? It’s the contrast and the shades that bring in the very best on our screen. So let’s forget about light shades and go as beautifully dark as possible.
- The right lighting. This makes or breaks our TV. The best option would be to bring in LED lighting. It sets the mood perfectly by changing the light intensity.
- Accessories. Throw in a red carpet, put some movie posters and memorabilia on the walls. It will give a more authentic look.
4. Private library
Books are such magical things that they deserve a special treatment and place in every home. If we are bookworms, we can stylishly create a home library space whether large or small that is both smart and pretty. A home library should be a place that offers a relaxing time to readers that would like to enjoy their reading time without getting disturbed. Home library design ideas are plenty and we need to look out for such ones that suit our style and personality. We will present you now a few ideas that are worth remembering:
- Open shelves are the modern method of displaying books – they provide easy access to books. If we are a bit more traditional, we can frame our books up inside wood frame and glass doors.
- We can’t forget about comfortable seating arrangements such as sofa, couch, well-cushioned chair or armchair. There is really nothing better than snuggling with a good book in a plush armchair and immerse yourself into another universe.
- Both natural and artificial illumination is important to receive a good amount of light while enjoying books. We can add some gorgeous chandeliers or pendant light fixtures.
- We can put a rug or carpet for a comfortable footrest.
- We have to remember about proper air ventilation for a healthy and fresh environment.
5. Craft room
Is crafting more important to us than chocolate or watching a favourite movie? Are our fabrics, beads, glitter, papers, paints, threads, and other similar items occupying the space in our closets reserved for clothes? Do we dream about sewing? If we answered yes to any of these questions, we don’t just have a hobby: We have a crafting passion. Let’s give our hobby a dedicated spot where it can reach its full potential. These craft room ideas are worth considering:
- Show off your supplies: Balls of yarn, rolls of ribbon and jars of beads all can add color and texture to our craft room. They look great with well-organized, open shelving.
- Add color: We can feel free to create a room that celebrates all our favorite shades. We can go for colorful walls or keep the walls neutral and add color with various accents (curtains, rugs, etc.)
- An inspiration board: It’s a perfect space to put some patterns, images from magazines, printouts, and notes.
- Show your work: We can make our own small gallery and display our finished projects. They will remind us of past success and inspire future projects.
6. Guest room
Ding dong! They’re here. Those special guests we’ve been waiting for. But is our guest room ready?
If we have one spare room, it can be a good idea to turn it into an extra bedroom for our distant family and friends that want to stay over. With these few simple guest room ideas, we can ensure a better stay for our visitors:
- Paint the walls a soothing color. Vibrant tones, like bright red, should be avoided, because they may make it difficult for our guests to feel relaxed.
- Place a bedside lamp in the room.
- A full-length mirror is a must. It’s necessary for our guests to get ready in the morning.
- Keep a dresser in the room, so that guests could unpack their clothes.
- Save space with bunk beds.
- If you have the space for it, think about a small desk which gives guests a place to work.
- Add a patterned bedspread and decorative throw pillows for a pop of color.
- Provide some reading materials like magazines or books to help the guests relax
- Don’t forget about fresh flowers. They will show how much we care for the occupant.
However, we have to be careful not to make this room too nice — our friends and family will never leave!
7. Home gym
Although many people go to fitness clubs, this doesn’t work for everyone. Some of us can feel uncomfortable if others are watching us exercise—when we work out at home, we can do our own thing, at our own pace. Fitness clubs or gym are also quite expensive while a home gym usually costs much less.
At the beginning, we have to decide how much space we need and what type of equipment we want to use. In fact, we may not need a lot of space if we’re just planning to do exercises or use an exercise mat. But if we want to install some special, bigger equipment, we’ll need to make sure it will fit in the space and that the area will be safe enough to use. It’s important also to choose a place with good airflow. It’s suggested to buy one item at a time. This will save us money and we will have time to get used to using the new equipment. We can slowly build up our set of equipment.
Tip: It’s good to talk to a certified exercise professional for information about equipment and fitness activities.
Spare room. Lucky you! Having an extra room in the home leaves you with countless opportunities to be unique and create a special room that’s all your own!